Chicken Biryani is a traditional and flavorful Indian dish. It’s a rice dish made with tender chicken, aromatic spices, and fragrant basmati rice. The chicken and rice are typically cooked together until the flavors have infused and the chicken is perfectly tender.
The end result is a delicious, comforting, and satisfying meal that people of all ages enjoy. This Chicken Biryani recipe is sure to become a staple in your meal rotation, whether you are a seasoned cook or just starting out in the kitchen.
So, let’s get started and make a delectable and authentic Chicken Biryani that will wow your family and friends!
- 2 lbs boneless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inches ginger, grated
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 green cardamoms
- 2 black cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 cup frozen green peas (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1/4 cup fried onions, for garnish
- Rinse the rice and soak it in water for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken pieces, yogurt, turmeric, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and salt. Set aside for 30 minutes to marinate.
- In a large pan, heat the ghee or oil over medium heat. Add the cinnamon sticks, green cardamoms, black cardamoms, cloves, and bay leaves. Fry for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the sliced onions to the pan and fry until they are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add the minced garlic and grated ginger to the pan and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan and cook until they have broken down and formed a sauce, about 5 minutes.
- Add the marinated chicken to the pan and cook until it is browned all over, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the rice and add it to the pan with the chicken. Stir to mix everything together.
- Pour the chicken broth or water over the rice and chicken, and add the frozen green peas if using. Stir everything together, then cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook the biryani for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Once the biryani is ready, turn off the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes.
To serve, garnish the biryani with chopped cilantro and fried onions. Serve hot with raita and/or a side of your choice.
Enjoy your aromatic and delicious chicken biryani!